Benefits & Criteria
Accreditation of Professionals
In Singapore, there is no regulatory board or council protecting the titles of Dietitians and Nutritionists. The Singapore Nutrition and Dietetics Association (SNDA) implemented an Accreditation Scheme in 2005 for Nutritionists and Dietitians who are members of the association.
Accredited Dietitian of Singapore (ADS) and Accredited Nutritionist of Singapore (ANS) are recognised professionals who have credible qualifications and expertise to provide expert nutrition and dietary advice to the healthy population. ADS have additional knowledge and skills in clinical nutrition and are trained to work with various diseased populations in various settings.
The Benefits of Accreditation include:
- Protect the professional title, status and function of Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Establish the probity (integrity, trustworthiness) and credibility of the profession in the eyes of the public
- Maintain and update list of recognised professional qualifications
- Encourage continual professional development to maintain competence
- Set minimum national standards for accountable conduct
We strongly encourage practising Dietitians and Nutritionists in Singapore to obtain accreditation from SNDA on a voluntary scheme.
The Criteria for Accreditation include:
- Recognised professional qualification in dietetics or nutrition by SNDA
- Continual professional development that meets the SNDA Continuing Education Scheme
- Continual Commitment to the SNDA Code of Professional Conduct
The accreditation status of the professionals will be reviewed and updated annually by the Accreditation Subcommittee of SNDA. All ADS/ANS are identifiable by the title and will be listed on the SNDA accreditation register available on the website from 2006.